Zero Waste Logo The Zero Wate Network the University of Texas at Arlington Center for Environmental Excellence Environmental Training Institute Logo  

Join Us on:

Social Network Nav Bar

Lean and P2 Workshops

Arlington
10/13/15 - 10/15/15

South Houston
11/10/15 - 10/12/15

New Orleans
TBD

Chicago
TBD

 

More...

 

Environmental Management Systems Workshops

Albuquerque, NM
05/12/15 - 05/15/15

Galveston, TX
07/28/15 - 07/31/15

Austin, TX
09/22/15 - 09/25/15

Arlington, TX
11/17/15 - 11/20/15

 

More...

Case Study Database

           Add Story    |    Search Case Studies    |   

 

Chevron Chemical , Oronite Additives Division

Year Submitted: 2003

Process: Wastewater Treatment

Industry: Chemical Manufacturing

Wastes Reduced: Amines

Location: Belle Chasse LA

No. of employees: Between 100 and 500 Employees

Contact: Donald T. Fike, Compliance Specialist

Phone: (504) 391-6600



Description:

Chevron makes OGA (Oronite Gasoline Additives) for gasoline marketers. This manufacturing process produces a waste stream containing free amine, a HCl-amine mix, and water totaling 8,500,000 per year which was deep-well disposed. Chevron put together a team to recover amine from the waste. The recycle method was the obvious waste reduction choice with the greatest economic and pollution prevention impact.The recovery process developed first neutralizes the waste mix with caustic, and then heated to boil off the amine and most of the water (the remaining slurry consisting mainly of NaCl goes for disposal). A distillation section then separates amines from the water. The amines are returned to the process and the water goes to treatment. New unit recovers 99% of the amine previously disposed. The remaining 1%(85,000 lbs/yr) is under close scrutiny for more recovery.

Environmental Benefits:

Chevron currently recovers 8,400,000 lbs/yr of amines that were previously disposed to deep wells.

Details of Reductions

Additional Information :

The project cost $4,500,000 and realized $9,300,000/year in raw material savings.

Source: LDEQ



SHEP Shield
Safety
Health and
Environmental
Professional



ERP Shield
Environmental
Regulatory
Professional



ESP Shield
Environmental
Science
Professional



EMP Shield
Environmental
Management
Professional

Attend a workshop and
earn credits toward a
Professional Certification

 

 



The Zero Waste Network is one of eight Pollution Prevention Resource Exchange P2RxCenters , serving as a national network of regional information centers: NEWMOA (Northeast), WRRC (Southeast), GLRPPR (Great Lakes), ZeroWasteNet (Southwest), P2RIC (Plains), Peaks to Prairies (Mountain), WSPPN (Pacific Southwest), PPRC (Northwest). We are a proud member of the National Pollution Prevention Roundtable.

National P2 Roundtable Logo
michael kors online outlet michael kors factory outlet online store michael kors outlet canada michael kors outlet online michael kors factory outlet fake michael kors bags cheap mk bags michael kors handbags clearance wholesale jordans jordans outlet cheap jordans china cheap authentic jordans cheap real jordans cheap jordans free shipping cheap jordans online discount jordans cheap jordans from china cheap air jordans louboutin pas cher louboutin soldes louboutin pas cher louboutin soldes air max pas cher air max femme pas cher air max pas cher roshe run pas cher air max one pas cher air max femme pas cher sac michael kors pas cher sac michael kors pas cher sac longchamp pas cher longchamp soldes sac longchamp pas cher longchamp pas cher moncler outlet moncler outlet moncler outlet